After graduating in Mechanical Engineering from Manchester University, Francis joined a large London firm as a trainee. Shortly before qualifying as a Chartered Patent Agent in the early Seventies, he joined founder Laurie Sanderson in Colchester where they built on the success of the business. Francis joined the partnership in 1982.
Francis took over as Senior Partner in 2002 after the death of Laurie Sanderson. He retired from the partnership of Sanderson & Co. in November 2012, and now acts as a consultant both to the firm and privately.
Though Francis works primarily on engineering cases, he has had a life-long interest in electronics and handles work in this field and in the telecommunications industries.
- BSc (Eng) – Mechanical Engineering, University of Manchester - 1968
- UK Chartered Patent Attorney – 1972
- European Patent Attorney – 1978
- European Trade Mark Attorney – 1986
- Chartered Trade Mark Attorney - 1979
- IP consultancy
- IP strategy
- Trade marks
- Registered designs
- Copyright and unregistered design advice
- Domain disputes